Setting up a Remote Desktop Services Gateway Server is a crucial step for businesses and IT professionals looking to provide secure, remote access to their network. In this blog post, we will walk you through the process of establishing a Windows Remote Desktop Services (RDS) Gateway Server on Windows Server 2022, 2019, or 2016.
Whether you are managing a small business network or a large enterprise system, this blog will provide step-by-step instructions and best practices to ensure a smooth and secure setup.
From initial configuration to advanced security measures, we cover everything you need to know to successfully deploy a Remote Desktop Services Gateway Server, making remote work more accessible and secure for your organization.
What is a Remote Desktop Gateway Server?
The Remote Desktop Gateway (RD Gateway), formerly known as Terminal Services Gateway, is an essential role service in Windows RDS. It acts as a gateway for authorized users to access internal or private network resources from any internet-connected device capable of running the Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) client.
This service provides a secure, encrypted connection, effectively bridging the gap between remote users and the network. Through RD Gateway, users can access various resources such as Remote Desktop Session Host (RD Session Host) servers, RD Session Host servers running RemoteApp programs, or any computer within the network that has Remote Desktop enabled.
This functionality is particularly valuable in hybrid work environments and for organizations with a mobile workforce, as it ensures secure and efficient remote access to critical network resources without compromising on security.
The easiest way to install RDS Gateway Server in Windows Server
- To begin setting up the Connection Broker role for a Remote Desktop Services (RDS) deployment on a Windows Server, first access the Server Manager on the host computer. In Server Manager, select 'Manage' and then choose 'Add Roles and Features.' This will initiate the setup wizard, starting with the Welcome Screen where you should click 'Next' to proceed with the configuration process.
- Choose the 'Role-based or feature-based installation' option and then click 'Next' to continue with the setup process.
- Choose the desired server where the RD Gateway role will be installed for this deployment and then click 'Next.' For instance, in the provided example, the selected target server is named "rdsfarm.”
- On the Roles screen, expand the 'RDS Microsoft’ section and select the 'Remote Desktop Gateway' checkbox to include this role in your installation.
- Click on 'Add Features' to automatically install the necessary prerequisites for the role, and then continue clicking 'Next' until you reach the confirmation screen, where you should click 'Install' to begin the installation process.
- Allow the installation to complete, and once it's finished, click 'Close' to exit the installer.
- In the Server Manager of the Connection Broker, navigate to the 'Remote Desktop Services' node and click on the green plus sign icon above 'RD Gateway' to proceed with the configuration.
- Choose the server that has been configured as the RD Gateway, move it to the right side in the selection interface, and then click 'Next' to continue.
- Input the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) of the RD Gateway Server. After entering the FQDN, click 'Next' to proceed.
- Click 'Add' to confirm the addition to the deployment, patiently wait for the completion of the role installation, and then click 'Close' to finalize the process.
Configure the RD Gateway role
After successfully installing the RD Gateway role, the next step is to configure it for use:
- Launch the Server Manager, and then navigate to the 'Remote Desktop Services' section.
- In the 'Servers' section, right-click on your server's name and select 'RD Gateway Manager' from the context menu.
- In the RD Gateway Manager, right-click on the name of your gateway server, and then choose 'Properties' from the drop-down menu.
- Navigate to the 'SSL Certificate' tab, select the option to 'Import a certificate into the RD Gateway,' then click on 'Browse and Import Certificate…' to proceed.
- Choose the name of your PFX file from the directory, and then click 'Open' to proceed with the selection.
- When prompted, enter the password associated with your PFX file to proceed with the process.
- Once you have successfully imported the certificate and its private key, the display will update to show the key attributes of the certificate.
Note:- These steps are applicable for Windows Server 2022 Remote Desktop Services CAL, 2019, or 2016.
Advantages of Remote Desktop Gateway
- Use of RDP over HTTPS: Remote Desktop Gateway utilizes the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) over HTTPS to create a secure and encrypted connection, enhancing security for remote users accessing internal network resources.
- Client Connection Information: With RD Gateway installed, clients are provided with the address or DNS name of the gateway server and the name or private IP address of the Remote Desktop server they need to connect to.
- Internal Name Resolution: The RD Server name or IP address does not need to be resolvable on the internet or be from a public IP range, as long as the RD Gateway can resolve the name internally.
- User Rights and Credentials: Appropriate rights and credentials need to be assigned to the user for successful connection to the Remote Desktop Server through the RD Gateway.
- Requirement of a Valid SSL Certificate: Using a valid SSL certificate is essential for RD Gateway functionality. It's recommended to purchase an SSL certificate from a reliable provider (like Comodo, InstantSSL, or Verisign) rather than using a self-signed certificate.
In conclusion, setting up a Remote Desktop Services Gateway Server on Windows Server 2022, 2019, or 2016 is an invaluable step for enhancing secure remote access in today's increasingly mobile and flexible work environments.
This blog has provided detailed instructions and insights on every aspect of the installation and configuration process, from selecting the appropriate role and features in Server Manager to the intricacies of configuring the RD Gateway Manager and managing SSL certificates. We hope this will help you to Buy Remote Desktop.
DirectDeals: 25 Years of Trust
Thank you for embarking on this enlightening exploration with us! We trust that our blog has equipped you with essential insights regarding RDS Gateway.
Should you have any additional queries or wish to make a purchase of Windows Server 2019 Remote Desktop Services CALs or other Microsoft products, do not hesitate to reach out. We're here to assist! Contact us at (800) 983-2471 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your satisfaction is our priority!
Discover the DirectDeals store, your ultimate destination for unparalleled value in the market. Our commitment to unbeatable prices is matched only by our unwavering dedication to providing top-notch technical support throughout your entire experience. We take pride in offering exceptional assistance at every stage of your journey.